Brief to the woodland flowers
The lily of the valley which is scientifically known as Convallaria majalis and generally is known by various names such as May belle. It is because it is a flower of spring and blooms fully in May, and those who are born in may their birth flower is the valley of the lily, also known as Lady’s tears. There is a myth that says that the tiny fragrant of flowers was bloomed when the tears of the Virgin Mary fell on the foot of the cross; also known as muguet as it typically means the valley of May. It is a small plant with bell-shaped cute fragrant flowers whose color varies from transparent to milky white and at times it appears pink in color. These woodland flowers are poisonous and when consumed it may lead to
• Decreased heartbeat
• Blurred vision
• Abdominal pain/ rashes
These are highly poisonous flowers and the red berries which seem quite attractive on the plants are poisonous as well, if one may consume leads to serious symptoms which can be fatal to human beings.
This fragrant flower which grows in the partial shade has a beautiful meaning that is ‘the return of joy/happiness’ which symbolizes purity, happiness, chastity, and luck.
Cultivation / growth in pots
These are the type of flowers which appreciate warm summers but when the temperature increases, they cannot survive. These are typically spring flowers or so-called May flowers that are cultivated in gardens for their rich and enchanting scent. It has the ability to expand when typical moderately alkaline soil is present, it expands in colonies and shady locations. The soil preferred is silty or acid and most favored for ideal growth is alkaline soil and let’s not forget a handsome amount of hummus, as its food blood, fish and bone.
There are a lot of varieties to this species that produce different color flowers and some are larger than the usual species. As said that partial growth favors its best growth, some are also grown in complete shade but they do not produce many flowers. These are low growing plants which are seen year after year in spring and last up to 3 weeks. They grow about 1 ft. In height rapidly, and where leaves first appear in the late march till early April.
They typically are found thriving under the canopy trees and large shrubs that provide a hefty amount of shape. They are low maintenance plants when the soil is naturally kept moist and the soil is not water-logged. As water-logged soils are an unfavorable condition for them and when they start to die, they cannot be recovered easily. The lily of the valley plant is not drought-resistant. The seeds of this plant are available in the market and these are widely grown in the gardens for its fragrant flowers and their exotic scent.
A regular pot that is quite deep is required
• Make sure that the pot has good drainage holes
• The plant is planted y seed or division
• Bundles of lily commonly called as valley pips are used, these pips are up to 15-20cm in length
• The pips are soaked in water for a day to provide it maximum moisture
• After preparing the pot with suitable soil (alkaline preferred)
• The small holes/ spaces are made in between the soil and the pips are placed inside and covered
• To maintain the regular supply of water is necessary as they are not drought resistant
• And keeping it in a proper place for growth
This is how the lily of the valley is cultivated and maintained even in the winter season, and are widely available online for shopping flowers or bouquets. The lily of the valley is quite an important flower being the national flower of Finland since 1964 and a floral emblem of Yugoslavia. As it is the symbol of spring and flower of May the country of France celebrates ‘Lilly of the Valley day, it is a French tradition on 1st May it is a national holiday and the people celebrate this day by gifting lily the valley flowers to their loved ones which symbolizes love and positive luck.
Uses of the lily of the valley flower
• As Perfume- Dior a French luxury goods company was the first to produce a perfume whose fragrance was scented like a lily, this was because Christian Dior’s favorite flower which encouraged him to make it into a perfume. Now, there are many perfumes which have flower products of the lily the valley.
• Used in weddings- It is one of the expensive flowers which is mostly used for weddings and celebrations. In Prince William and Catherine’s wedding, the bouquet of the lily of the valley was used. And in many celebrations and weddings, it symbolizes love and its beautiful fragrance, making it an increase in demand.
• Used as Medicine- the roots of the plant commonly called a rhizome and the flower tips that are dried and flower product is used to make medicines which can treat many heart diseases, like heart failures and irregular beat of heart, weak contractions during labor, kidney stones, leprosy, etc. But these all treatments of the flower product are under specialized care only and is not unsafe at all to use if for self-medication as it may not be the correct way and cause more harm to the body.
• As a natural product- It is commonly found as a processed constituent in may soaps, shampoos, creams, and washing powders as well.
• Aromatherapy- A holistic treatment that benefits the body mentally and spiritually. The lily of the valley is used in aromatherapy which helps ease headaches, depression, and desolation of the caged heart.
The lily of the valley is one of the expensive and beautiful plants, with cute bell-like flowers having an extravagant and rich scent that is liked by many, it is a boon and a bane, one thing to be sure of is the flowers cannot harm you when you touch them but only when they are consumed. Apart from that, they are an amazing choice for bouquets.
Brief to the woodland flowers