Is Lily Of The Valley Flowers Edible?

Spread the love

Is Lily Of The Valley Flowers Edible? These flowers are not edible, and additional effects can cause several symptoms. For example, after eating this flower, someone could get dizziness, blurred vision, abdominal pain, vomiting, etc. Also, read about: Is Lily Of The Valley Flowers Edible?

Is Lily Of The Valley Flowers Poisonous?

Lily of the valley is a magnificent flower among similar groups. However, it is a must to remember that these are highly poisonous besides being sweetly scented, bell-shaped, glorious white flowers. It is the native woodland flowering plant of the Northern hemisphere throughout the cool temperature that is mostly poisonous with various effects.

The plant

It is an herbaceous perennial plant that forms extensive colonies by spreading its underground stems. Which appear above the ground with upright stems that are popular as ‘pips.’ In the area of the UK, the plant typically flowers in the month of May-June, and in the other parts of Europe, it blossoms in the same month. Indeed, its scientific name ‘Majalis’ means ‘of or belonging to May.’

Why Do People Try To Eat Lily Of The Valley?

Even after being a poisonous plant, there must be a reason why people try or even think to consume the Lily of the valley. Thus, a natural product of mother nature makes some people believe that the flower is less likely to become poisonous or harmful to human life.
Researching through various facts, Convallaria majalis, or the Lily of the valley, resembles Allium ursinum, a familiar and commonly found food plant also known as Ramsons or Wild Garlic. Therefore, the look-like resemblance of Lilly of the valley to the Ramsons or Wild Garlic could be a reason to consume this poisonous plant.
However, there are some crucial instances on record that the lily-of-the-valley leaves are misled with the Ramsons plant leaves. And hence, it becomes additional to soups or got fried with some other ingredients. Even the red berries that the plant produces later in the year got children’s attention and resulted in consumption by those children.

Is Lily Of The Valley Flowers Edible?
Is Lily Of The Valley Flowers Edible?

Ramson vs. Lily of the Valley

Apart from other reasons, these are more common, leading people to ingest the plant into their system. Therefore, it is essential to differentiate between the leaves of Lilly of the valley and the ramsons. Being an edible food plant, Ramsons is safe to consume while Lilly of the valley is poisonous.
Therefore, there must be specific techniques to differentiate between the two. One is the occurrence month of these two flowers differs from each other. It is also essential to demolish the growth of this plant around children or pets.

Benefits Of The Lilly Of The Valley

Even after being a poisonous plant, Lilly of the valley has some significant benefits. But it is to be noted that the flower is strictly not edible. However, the health benefits are numerous by using the flower through some medicines or when used on the skin.
The benefits of this flowering plant include a reduction in scars, lightening skin tone, treating chronic lung diseases, relieves mental problems, and is even beneficial in treating heart diseases.
The elements present in the plant are medically helpful for treating the heart, lungs, and mental diseases. However, it is, again, can being a poisonous plant. Therefore, it is not recommended to eat or ingest the Lilly of the valley into the body.

How Toxic Is The Lily Of The Valley?

The answer to the question that are those lilies of the valley flowers are poisonous is ‘yes.’ So, please don’t ask any longer about is Lily Of The Valley Flowers Edible?. The toxicity or the poisoning of the plant is its defense against the animals eating its seeds. So, not just its flower or berries but all its parts, namely the stem, the leaves, the berries, and the flowers, are poisonous.
The toxicity of the flower is mainly due to the presence of 40 different cardiac glycosides. However, the seriousness of the toxicity of this flowering plant is by the diseases it can cause. From rashes and itchiness to death, this flowering plant is harmful and poisonous to human life if consumed directly from the mouth.
Besides, hallucinations and changes in the heart rate are some of the most common symptoms of eating the Lilly of the valley.

What Makes Lilly Of The Valley Non-Edible?

As mentioned, the presence of toxic cardiac glycosides is the primary reason behind the plant’s toxicity. To be more specific, Convallatoxin and convallamarin are the two main harmful. Thus, it belongs to the glycosides group in the plant. However, there are numerous others, such as saponins, that cause the adversities.
Therefore, Lilly of the valley is classified as number one on the poison scale. It denotes that it has some significant toxicity that could even lead to death.

Lily Of The Valley Flowers Edible? Effects Of Eating Lily Of The Valley

It is popular that flower products are beneficial to human skin. It is valid to some extent, but some flowery plants can also lead to severe injuries if used or consumed otherwise.
Surveys are discovering that children and pets are most commonly reacting to these flowers. But even a large community of young people have been felled by the toxins of the flower. Lilly of the valley can also be as extreme as fatal if ingested. The presence of cardiac glycosides creates an effect much like the exposure to Digitalis in foxglove.

Major effects

The significant effects of ingesting the plant into your system could be:

  • Blurry vision
  • Vomiting and nausea
  • Headaches
  • Red skin and rashes
  • Drowsiness
  • Rapid alterations in cardiac rhythm
  • Excessive salivation

All these symptoms don’t sound like fun or even suggest you try utilizing that white-colored eye-catching plant. If we consume the flower, it is better to contact the poison control center or the ambulance as soon as possible. Until there are no children or pets around the farming of Lilly of the valley, it is probably safe. But when there are children, adults, or pets around, it is safer to avoid cultivating this plant.
Apart from being poisonous, Lilly of the valley is a sweet-scented and one of the most favorite fragrant flowers that symbolizes happiness and the vision of a better world. As much as this plant is dangerous to human or animal life, it is beneficial too, only when it is not consumed directly and used through other sources and in restrictive quantities. Also, read this.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *